This recipe was taken from the Shapemag
Make one batch of healthy and easy Low GI rusks to last the month!
Makes 60 rusks
1 cup oat bran
1 cup sultanas
2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 apples, peeled and grated
5 t baking powder
1 cup ‘lite’ margarine
1 t bicarbonate of soda
2 cups low-fat fruit yoghurt, any flavour
2 cups bran
1 t salt
2 cups high-fibre bran cereal
2 cups whole-wheat ProNutro
1 t vanilla essence
1 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, except the sugar. Add the sultanas and the grated apple and with a wooden spoon lift up the mixture a few times to incorporate air.
- Melt the margarine and sugar. Pour onto the dry ingredients.
- Mix the yoghurt, egg and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients.
- With a wooden spoon, mix the yoghurt mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended. Add low-fat milk if too stiff. The dough should not be sloppy, but soft enough to spoon into pans.
- Spoon into two sprayed bread pans and bake for 30 minutes at 180˚C. Turn down the heat to 150˚C and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cut into 30 fingers per loaf and dry the rusk in a slow oven at 100˚C for 2 – 3hours.