6 extra large egg yolks
6 extra large egg whites
75 ml sugar (5 tablespoons)
200 g dark good chocolate (not cooking chocolate)
45 ml strong coffee powder
60 ml brandy
20 ml cocoa powder
120 ml butter, cubed
1. Separate the eggs, yolks in one large bowl & whites in another large bowl.
2. Beat the egg yolks with most of the sugar (4 tablespoons) in a large bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon for later.
3. Beat until the mixture is thick & pale in colour (like thick cream). Mixture will have doubled in quantity.
4. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
5. Stir in the coffee powder & brandy.
6. Stir in the cocoa powder.
7. Add the butter, bit by bit, stirring until all the butter is absorbed.
8. Remove from the stove.
9. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, using a spatula until thoroughly incorporated & a smooth even brown colour.
10. Allow chocolate mixture to cool completely.
11. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the egg whites.
12. Wisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
13. Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the cooled chocolate mixture.
14. Using a spatula & a lifting/folding motion, incorporate the rest of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
15. Spoon the mousse into 1 large serving bowl, or 6 smaller serving bowls.
16. Refrigerate overnight until set.
17. Serve with fresh cream.
(Visited 81 times, 1 visits today)