800 g white fish
6 – 7 potatoes
10 ml fish salt
30 ml cake flour
10 ml brown sugar
80 ml melted butter
salt & milled black pepper
80 ml mayonnaise
80 g cheddar cheese, grated
5 ml dry mustard
2 ml cayenne pepper
2 eggs, separated
200 ml milk
1. Preheat oven to 200*C (400*F).
2. Fish must be thawed & rinsed.
3. Peel & slice the potatoes thinly. Steam until just tender.
4. Grease a medium sized ovenproof glass dish.
5. Line the base with a layer of potatoes, season with salt & milled pepper.
6. Repeat till all potatoes are used up.
7. Mix the salt, flour, sugar & pepper in a flat dish.
8. Dip the fish in the melted butter & then in the flour mixture.
9. Place floured fish on top of the potatoes.
10. Bake for 10 minutes, while preparing the topping.
11. Topping: Mix the mayonnaise, grated cheese, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, egg yolks & milk in a mixing bowl.
12. Beat the egg whites until fluffy & fold into the mayonnaise mixture with a metal spoon.
13. Remove the dish from the oven & spread the topping on top, covering the fish.
14. Bake for a further 15 minutes. The topping should puff up & be golden brown.
15. Serve immediately.
(Visited 69 times, 1 visits today)