250 g uncooked brown lentils
45 ml olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
500 g butternut, cubed
4 cloves garlic, crushed
5 ml chilli paste
5 ml curry powder
8 bay leaves
410 g tin whole tomatoes
375 ml milk
salt & milled black pepper
5 ml sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180*C (350*F).
2. Grease a large oven proof glass dish.
3. Cover the lentils with water & allow to simmer for about 45 minutes, until soft.
4. Peel the butternut and cut into cubes.
5. Heat the olive oil in a heavy large frying pan & sauté the chopped onions until clear but not brown.
6. Add the butternut & cook with lid on, over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
7. Add the crushed garlic, chilli paste, curry powder & 4 bay leaves.
8. Finally add the tomatoes & simmer for 15 minutes with the lid off.
9. Season with salt, black pepper & sugar.
10. In the oven proof dish, layer the cooked lentils & butternut mixture.
11. Beat the eggs with the milk, season with salt & pepper.
12. Pour custard mixture over the top of the dish, do not mix.
13. Place a 4 bay leaves on the top..
14. Bake for 45 minutes until the custard sets & browns.
15. Serve with rice and chutney.
(Visited 93 times, 1 visits today)