5 ml bicarb of soda
600 g cake flour
100 ml hot water
200 g castor sugar
250 g dates, chopped up
8 ml baking powder
½ c mixed peel
3 ml salt
2 unbeaten eggs
100 g softened butter
150 ml fresh orange juice
50 g chopped walnuts or peacans
50 ml orange rind
250 ml sour milk, or normal
Crystallised orange peel
milk soured with lemon juice
½ c sugar
½ c orange juice
75 ml lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 190*C (375*F).
2. Grease & flour a 25cm tube baking tin.
3. Dilute bicarb in hot water & pour over chopped dates, stir well, set aside to cool.
4. Take a little flour & mix with the ½ c mixed peel to loosen.
5. Add the chopped nuts to the loosened mixed peel. Mix.
6. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
7. Mix the softened butter into the dry ingredients with your finger tips.
8. Add the soured milk & orange juice to the crumb mixture, mix well.
9. Add the eggs, mix till combined.
10. Add the softened dates, nuts/mixed peel & orange rind. Mix well.
11. Pour into tube tin and bake for 35-50 minutes, till baked.
12. Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan, warm to dissolve sugar, DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
13. Pour sauce over the hot cake, when removed from the oven.
14. Allow the cake to cool in the tin & then turn out on wire wrack.
15. Decorate (when cooled) with drip icing & crystallised orange peel.
(Visited 76 times, 1 visits today)