190 ml maize meal
1 onion, chopped
oil for frying
375 ml milk or buttermilk
5 ml baking powder
250 g cooked cubed chicken
1-2 bottles green chillies, chopped
125 g cheddar cheese, grated
250 ml cooked corn
5 ml mustard powder
salt & milled black pepper
butter for baking
1. Preheat oven to 180*C (350*F)>
2. Grease a 20-30cm deep glass dish.
3. Stir-fry the chopped onions until transparent & soft.
4. Add the cooked chicken, stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5. Place the chicken onion mixture into the glass dish.
6. Beat together the egg & milk (buttermilk)
7. Mix together the maize meal, baking powder, mustard, salt & ground pepper, in a large mixing bowl.
8. Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture, mix well.
9. Stir in the corn, cheese & chopped chillies. Mix well.
10. Pour the mixture over the chicken onion mixture.
11. Dot with butter.
12. Bake for 45 minutes, till done.
13. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
14. Serve with a salad.