Jan van Niekerk
This dish is low fat, low carb and packed full of fresh spring veggies. Because rice makes up the ‘crust’ of this quiche it is even gluten free
• 1 cup rice, cooked
• 6 stalks fresh asparagus, chopped
• 1 large red bell pepper, cut into rings
• 1 small orange sweet pepper, cut into rings
• 3 green onions, chopped
• ⅓ cup Feta cheese, crumbled
• 6 eggs
• 3 Tablespoons low fat milk or water
• 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• dash of hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Spoon rice loosely into the pie plate.
3. Arrange fresh vegetables on top of rice.
4. Sprinkle Feta cheese on top.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk or water. Mix in seasonings. Pour egg mixture over rice and veggies.
6. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the egg mixture has set.
7. Serve immediately.
Notes: If you want to go super low fat use 9 egg whites or 1½ cup of egg product.