Recipe from Hilda Williams Serves 8
The dried beans, lentils and veggies make this a soup for winter. Beans and lentils are a healthy source
1 cup (250 ml) dried sugar beans
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
8 cups (2 litres) Homemade stock or water with 3 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
2 cups (500 ml) thinly
sliced cabbage or spinach
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
1. Soak beans in 1 litre of water overnight. Rinse and drain.
2. Heat oil in a large pot and fry carrots, onion and garlic.
3. Stir in the stock, dried herbs, lentils and beans.
4. Bring to the boil and re-duce the heat. Simmer, with a lid, for 1½-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
5. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and cabbage and sim-mer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley, sugar and
6. Season with lemon juice and pepper.