Recipe from Candice Shaw
Serves 6 – 8
A more-ish salad with fresh herbs and veggies that Candice loves to make in summer, for a braai or
special family occasion.
1 cup (250 ml) pearled wheat (stampkoring)
1 cinnamon stick or bay leaf
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
or white grape vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower oil
black pepper to taste
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ cucumber, chopped
100 g spinach leaves, cut into strips
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh mint or more parsley
1. Place pearled wheat in a pot with cinnamon stick and salt. Cover with water and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the wheat is tender. Drain and cool.
3. Mix lemon juice, oil and pepper to make a dressing.
4. Mix veggies and herbs with the wheat. Stir in the dressing.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve cold or at room temperature as a side dish.