375ml (1½ cups) Illovo White Sugar
90ml (6 Tablespoons) Illovo Golden Syrup
30g brick margarine
5ml (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
1. Place the sugar and the syrup in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir to combine, then slowly bring to the boil.
2. Add the margarine and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, and boil for 3 – 4 minutes.
3. When the mixture begins to turn brown, remove from the heat.
4. Sieve in the bicarbonate of soda, then stir until the mixture froths up.
5. Pour the frothing mixture into a greased 22cm square pan. Leave to set until cold and hard.
6. When set, crack into pieces by tapping it with a wooden spoon. Store immediately in an airtight container.