Send in by Lynette Muller
Makes 1 standard loaf size
250g bacon, diced
2.5 (625ml) cups all purpose (cake) flour
2tsp (10ml) baking powder
1tbsn (15ml) sugar
1tsp (5ml) salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup (125ml) butter, melted
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 tin (410g) whole corn kernels (drained)
1/2 tin (about 200g) cream style sweetcorn
1 Cup cheddar cheese, grated
Pre-heat the oven to 170°c and grease a standard size loaf tin.
1. Fry the chopped bacon in a very hot pan until slightly crisp.
2. Drain off any excess fat and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
4. Beat together the eggs, butter and milk and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
5. Fold in the corn and bacon and pour into the prepared loaf tin. 6. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the loaf and place into the oven.
7. Bake for 60-75 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the loaf is browning too fast, turn the heat down.
** Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 5 minutes before removing from the tray.