- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 1 kg lamb knuckles
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 10 ml garlic, crushed
- 10 ml ginger, freshly grated
- 5 ml each ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cardamom pods
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 10 ml sugar
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 60 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat half the sunflower oil in a large potjie. Brown the meat in batches and set aside. Heat the remaining oil and braise the onions for five to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Add the garlic, ginger and spices, and fry for a further two minutes.
2. Return the meat to the potjie. Add 250ml water (or enough to cover the meat) and cook, covered, over medium coals for about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for a further 10 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes and cook until both the potatoes and the meat are tender (approx. another 40 mins). Add the fresh coriander and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper
(Visited 262 times, 1 visits today)