Boerewors or your choice of wors
12 wooden kebab sticks
For the Mielie ‘Pap’ Balls
1 ½ cups corn meal
+/- 3 cups boiling water (follow cooking instructions on packet)
1 tsp salt
1 can creamstyle sweetcorn
For the Glaze
1 cup sweet chilli sauce
½ cup chutney (mild/hot) or 2 Tbl mild tomato salsa mixed with 1 Tbls apricot jam
1 can tomato and onion mix or boerie sauce
1 Tbls apricot jam
1 Tbls cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup cold water
1. Make up corn meal as per instructions on packet. Remember, you want the corn meal to be firm enough to roll into balls when cool.
2. Once all corn meal is cooked, add canned sweetcorn and mix well.
3. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
4. While corn meal is cooking, place the defrosted boerewors into the microwave and cook for about 8 – 10 minutes on high (cover meat with paper towel). You can also fry it over low heat on top of the stove. Leave the wors to cool, then cut into pieces.
(The boerewors must be cooked and cooled beforehand so that it doesn’t fall apart when threaded onto the sticks.)
5. Remove corn meal from pot and allow to cool in a bowl.
6. Soak sticks in water
7. When corn meal has cooled, roll spoonfuls into small balls
8. Thread pieces of wors and corn meal balls all the way along a kebab stick (press the balls firmly around the stick)
9. Paint the whole kebab (the meat and corn meal balls) with the glaze (chutney and sweet chilli sauce).
10. Braai the kebabs until golden brown. Remember, they are already cooked so all you need to do is brown them, heat them through and serve with dipping sauce below.
Combine tomato and onion mix with apricot jam and dissolved corn flour in a pot and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn down the heat and allow to simmer for a minute or two, stirring continuously.