375g castor sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
90g cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup chopped mixed nuts (e.g. hazelnuts and pecans)
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1–2Tbsp milk, to loosen
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease a medium-sized, square baking tin or line with baking paper.
2. In a small saucepan, over a medium heat, melt the butter and then add it to a mixing bowl with the sugar and vanilla essence.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating in between each addition.
4. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and gently fold in the salt, nuts and chocolate chips. Add extra milk to loosen your mixture if it seems too stiff but remember that brownies are quite dense so the mixture will be heavier.
5. Spoon the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 25 minutes, or until only just cooked through. The brownies should be gooey inside.
6. Allow to cool in the tin, cut into squares and serve with a dusting of icing sugar.