Quiches remain so quick and easy to prepare. The base of this recipe has always been a favourite.
Makes 1 quiche
250 ml (140 g) Snowflake Cake Wheat Flour
250 ml (100 g) grated Cheddar cheese
100 g butter or margarine
30 ml chopped fresh mixed herbs or 10 ml dried FILLING
30 ml olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
125 g cherry tomatoes, halved
125 g feta cheese, crumbled
2 extra-large eggs
200 ml milk or fresh cream
10 ml sugar
30 ml chopped fresh mixed herbs or
10 ml dried salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Base: Combine flour, cheese, butter and herbs and mix to a soft, sticky dough or mix in a food processor. Press dough onto base and against sides of a greased 23 cm ovenproof tart or quiche dish. Place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes until firm.
2. Filling: Heat oil in medium, heavy-based frying pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until soft. Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
3. Spoon onion mixture onto pastry base, then layer with tomatoes and feta cheese.
4. Whisk eggs, milk, sugar, herbs and seasoning together. Pour over filling. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 °C for about 45 minutes, or until set and light brown.
• The difference between a quiche and a savoury tart is that quiches have a savoury egg custard mixture as a filling, whereas savoury tarts may use a starch, such as cornflour or flour, with or without an egg, to bind the mixture.