Chicken stock ingredients:
2 kg whole chicken, cut into 4
2,5 litres water
2 onion, chopped up roughly
4 cloves of garlic
3 stalks of celery, cut in halves
3 carrots, cut in halves
5 sprigs of parsley
10 ml salt
5 ml thyme
4 bay leaves
5 ml tarragon
500 g mushrooms
45 ml butter
20 ml lemon juice
10 ml fresh parsley, chopped
8 leeks, sliced
salt & milled black pepper
45 ml butter
30 ml cake flour
300 ml chicken stock
2 egg, yolks
5 ml salt
10 ml lemon juice
150 ml thick cream
500 g short crust puff pastry a little mil for brushing
1. Stock: Place all the stock ingredients into a large saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat & allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
3. Turn off heat & allow the chicken to cool in the liquid.
4. Remove the chicken, skin & de-bone the chicken. Cut the flesh into bite size pieces.
5. Place the cut chicken into a bowl, add some of the hot stock & store in the fridge.
6. Take the bones etc & return to the stock saucepan.
7. Cook for a further 60 minutes.
8. Strain the stock & store the liquid in fridge. One can then remove the excess cold fat from stocks surface.
9. Reserve the stock for the pie, the leftovers can be frozen for future use.
1. Preheat oven to 180*F (350*F).
2. Remove the puff pastry from the freeze, allow to defrost.
3. Vegetables: Place the cut up chicken into a large mixing bowl.
4. Wash the leeks well, slice & microwave till done.
5. Combine the cooked leeks with the chicken mixture.
6. Chop up the mushrooms & sauté in the 45 ml butter.
7. Combine the cooked mushrooms with the chicken mixture.
8. Add lemon juice & chopped parsley to the chicken mixture, mix well.
9. Add enough salt & milled pepper to the chicken mixture, to taste.
10. Mix well.
11. Sauce: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
12. Stir in the flour & make a roux.
13. Take off the heat and stir in the 300ml stock.
14. Reheat slowly, stirring constantly till mixture comes to the boil.
15. Stir in the egg yolks & boil till thickened.
16. Season with more salt if necessary.
17. Remove from heat, and stir in the cream & lemon juice.
18. Pie: Grease a deep 20 cm glass pie dish.
19. Place the chicken mixture into the pie dish.
20. Cover with the sauce.
21. Roll out the puff pastry onto its own plastic on a pastry board.
22. Cut the pastry to fit the top of the pie. (slightly larger)
23. Cover the pie, crimp the edges closed with a folk.
24. Maker a small hole in the centre of the pastry, for steam to escape.
25. Decorate the top of the pie with decorative shapes.
26. Brush the top with a bit of milk.
27. Bake for 60 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
PIE CAN BE FROZEN BEFORE IT IS BAKED.